Monday, October 16, 2006

Cancelled feminist events

I was really looking forward to attending a couple of feminist events this month that have been cancelled (through no fault of the organisers). Firstly, I have been writing a brief about objectification of women in the media, so the Object demo outside Parliament on the 20th of October was already in my diary. Now it has been cancelled because Claire Curtis-Thomas' Sexually Explicit Materials bill has been denied a second reading, despite cross-party support, due to 'lack of time'. This is so incredibly frustrating. Despite my qualms about the specific nature of the bill (ie. that lad mag images are bad for children rather than bad in and of themselves) it was still a great opportunity to get this issue back on the national agenda. Despite Object's efforts, it does sort of feel like the bill has died. Which basically means I went out and bought Zoo and Nuts for no reason.

The second event was the 'Prostitution: what should be done?' talk at the Women's Library which will thankfully be re-scheduled for the New Year. I might just pop along in the next couple of weeks to the Prostitution exhibition, because I should really know more about Josephine Butler (and sex trafficking) than I currently do.

No comments: