Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Another shambolic abortion article

I am boycotting weekend newspapers because they are literally eating into my social life, but this morning this little gem from the Observer was waiting in my inbox. It's your standard 'I became pregnant and am now questioning my pro-choice stance so I'm going to go to the American South and talk to some nutters for a cheap Channel 4 TV show' waste of time. Though she ultimately retains her pro-choice stance there are so many dodgy arguments and rhetorical devices in this piece - it's an utter shambles. Still framing the debate in terms of birth/death (what the hell has her grandma dying got to do with abortion?) rather than women's reproductive rights and bodily integrity. Blah!

Dodgiest parts below:

Throughout my twenties and the better part of my thirties, I did everything that was required for me not to have a child (other than, you know, not having sex). I wasn't always safe - I've necked morning-after pills like vitamin tablets - but I was lucky enough not to end up in a situation where I was pregnant and didn't want to be.

Unhelpful!

And I'm a feminist. I have more than one Andrea Dworkin book and I'm not ashamed of that.

A copy of Andrea Dworkin is not a definitive feminist ID

My questions weren't being answered in the UK, where abortion isn't really talked about. So I decided to go to America, where abortion is a hot, divisive and political topic.

Err, I think a number of recent UK Ten Minute Rule Bills might suggest otherwise .....

I hung out with Roy outside the clinic as he confronted young, mostly black, women coming in for a termination and tried to persuade them to turn back. It wasn't a comfortable morning. 'Shame on you, coming in here with a cross around your neck!' Roy shouted at one poor girl. 'Are you going to nail your baby to the cross?' Despite his appalling hectoring, I quite liked Roy.

Yeah, he sounds like a really nice guy ...

Watch the madness on More4 this Wednesday 10.30pm.

No comments: