Monday, July 14, 2008

'Real Reason' for delay in the HFE Bill revealed



















The Sunday Telegraph (yes, I know) claims that the HFE Bill has been delayed to the Autumn not because of the Glasgow-East by-election, but rather because Emily Thornberry MP, supported by Harriet Harman, wants to table an amendment to extend abortion rights to Northern Ireland. Considering assurances were given by the Northern Ireland Secretary that this would not happen around the time of the 42 days vote, relations in Cabinet are said to have further deteriorated. Read about the messy politics here

Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but I shall ask my Westminster spies tomorrow. I love that pro-choice MPs are finally on the offensive and I say bring on the summer campaign!

The Women's Hour over at Radio 4 has been discussing the issue this morning, which you can access here. Although I warn you, you will have to listen to Nadine Dorries MP.

No comments: