Sunday, January 21, 2007

Angela McRobbie to give talk at the LSE














I will be returning to the LSE, and specifically the GI, for this exciting lecture by Angela McRobbie. And my fab ex-supervisor is chairing it! I really liked Angela's comments last year in the British Journal of Sociology in regards to Judith Butler's latest book. Though I am noticing increased use of the phrase 'melancholia' in academia - Paul Gilroy used it in a talk at the LSE last year on Britain's 'post-colonial' melancholy surrounding race relations. A new academic trend?

Illegible Rage: reflections on young women's post feminist disorders

Professor Angela McRobbie, Goldsmiths College, will give a public lecture at LSE on Thursday 25 January. The lecture provides a new cultural and sociological analysis of patterns of activity such as eating disorders, low self esteem, binge drinking and self harm.

Professor McRobbie who has written many books and articles on young women and popular culture, will draw attention to the normalisation of such malaise, she will argue that overall this comprises a form of ‘gender melancholia’. With young women encouraged to repudiate feminism, and the values it entailed including solidarity and love between women, the loss of this force for change and critique gives way to self-beratement, and harsh self- judgement as women are once more ‘confined’, this time in a restricted space seemingly of their own making.
The lecture will draw on material from fashion magazines, popular culture, films and contemporary post-feminist art. Angela McRobbie is professor of media and communications at Goldsmiths College. Dr Rosalind Gill, LSE, will chair this event.

Illegible Rage: reflections on young women’s post feminist disorders is on Thursday 25 January 2007 at 6.30pm in the Old Theatre, Old Building, LSE, Houghton Street, London WC2A. The event is free and open to all with no ticket required. Entry is on a first come, first served basis. Visit the event link here

4 comments:

L said...

Sounds great, wish I could make it :( It interests me that binge drinking is included in the list of issues that represent this malaise; I think a lot of women just see drinking large amounts as a way to have a good time, nothing more sinister than that.

chn said...

I wish I could attend! I quoted McRobbie several time in my master's thesis about Fashion PR. Would be amazing to see her speak.

snippy_feminist said...

Laura - I'll let you know about her take on the whole binge-drinking thing, which is, I agree problematic. I'm not that well-versed on McRobbie, so I couldn't guess how she included it in the 'melancholia', lol.

snippy_feminist said...

Crosby - Apparently she also has a very soothing voice!